Government of Tamilnadu issued an order number 117 dated 23.06.1955 to start Teacher Training College during the academic year 1955-56 at Pudukkottai. This College was functioning from 01.08.1955 in one of the buildings of Sri Brahathambal Government High School, Pudukkottai under the headship of Thiru. S. Palanisamy, M.A., L.T. the first Principal of this institution. This College has been functioning in its own building, which was built at a cost of 4.5 Lakhs and was functioning since 07.10.1964.
The facility was provided to study Tamil, English, General Science, Social Science and Mathematics at the earlier stage. But the change of Educational Policy of the Government Tamil, English, History, Mathematics, Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences are being taught to the students in the college affiliated to the University.
Government of Tamilnadu announced and permitted this college to undergo the short-term B.T. Course through the G.O. Number 1860 dated 06.06.1961. In 1961 B.T. Course was started with 30 students. But short-term B.T. Course was stopped from the year 1975.
In the month of November 1962, Tamil Pandit Course was started with 40 students. The Period of the course was 5 months. This Course was stopped in the academic year 1984-85.
Full-time M.Ed. Course was started during the academic year 1972-73. University of Madras permitted to admit 8 students only. This Course was changed as part-time course for the benefit of the teachers who were working in and around Pudukkottai. But this course was stopped from the year 2000 – 2001. From the year 2014 – 2015, M.Ed Courses has been conducted with an intake of 35 students. This year 2015-16, in take off 7 M.Ed students has been increased to 50 by NCTE, Bangalore.